Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 02-19-2013, 03:36 AM   #1
Victor Thomas

Default New to olympic lifting, some questions.

First off let me say that I have looked for the answers to these questions and I just couldnt find them. So I have looked, cant find, so ill just ask myself.

I've been doing olympic lifting for about a year now, main reason for rugby. My best C&J is 88 kg and my best Snatch is 66 kg. I can Clean 104 kg, and my squat is 147 kg. I weigh 77 kg and im 23.

First question: In reading training logs, im a little confused. Im not sure if the sets come before reps or vice-versa. for example, back squat 70% x 6 x 5. I understand that my weight will be 70% of my 1rpm. But is that 6 sets of 5 reps, or 6 reps of 5 sets. my guess would be the first one.

Second question: In regards to diet, whats should be my daily caloric intake? I eat 6 meals a day, lots of grains, vegies, fruits, and clean protein. I calculated my daily intake, and its around 2,900 calories a day. I think thats really low. Especially for a 23 y/o male where i train 2-2.5 hours in the gym and another 2 hours at rugby practice 5 days a week. What should i be aiming for, and yes i know everyones different, so a simple ball park would be fine.

Thanks!
Victor Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
Javier Sanjuan

Location: Originally from Queens, NY; live in Manhattan, KS (Army Captain)

Victor,

First question: if you're given a percentage or load, it's % x reps x sets. If you're simply told to do an exercise, it's the exercise x sets x reps.

Second question: you should ask yourself how you're feeling. If you're content with your movements, your lifts, your performance on the pitch, and how well you're recovering, then you're nutrition is on par. If your goal is to gain mass and get stronger, or if you're struggling to recover, then I would say you need to evaluate your diet and possibly eat a little more. Bob Takano's recent book recommended consuming something along the lines of 66-77 calories per kg of bodyweight for the weightlifter. You do the lifts and play rugby. As always, an important note to make is that a wholesome diet is better than just a random diet consisting of junk food in an effort to get the caloric recommendation, and that supplements are exactly what their name suggest. They are to supplement your daily consumption, not replace meals.

I hope that helps you.

Best,
Javi

Dear God, please help me lift heavy and be awesome. Thanks. Amen.
Javier Sanjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
Victor Thomas

hi javi

thanks for the reply, in terms of my diet and energy. recently ive been feeling extremely fatigued. to the point where ive removed squats, deadlifts and other movements from my routine and just keep cleans, snatches and other more explosive movements because im in the middle of my season. i understand that when the rugby season starts, in terms of the gym, my routine just becomes to maintain as best i can what ive gained in the off season.

heres my daily diet, if anyone has any suggestions to add to bump up my caloric intake, that would be great.

(pick a fruit list)
banana, orange, apple, pear, grapefruit

breakfast: pick a fruit, 5 egg omelet (4 white, 1 whole), 1 cup oatmeal with blueberries

next meal: pick a fruit, 1 cup mixed veggies, 1 chicken thigh

next meal: pick a fruit, 1 cup potato salad, 1 chicken thigh

preworkout meal: 2 slices whole wheat bread with honey, drive to gym, 1 whey protein drink

(workout)

1 whey protein drink, drive home, post workout meal: pick a fruit, 1/2 can of tuna, 1 cup of brown rice

last meal: pick a fruit, 1 cup whole wheat pasta, serving of sockeye salmon

note* all meals have a 2 hour window in between to digest. on days i have rugby training, i will have my training before my last meal.

thanks!
Victor Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote