Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 03-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
Jason Fiscer

Default Jerk Issues

Hey there.

So I've been lifting for about a year (learned basic olympic lifts in Crossfit the year before). My snatch pr is 108 and clean is 130. My clean and jerk pr is 118 (I've had 123 overhead, but got three red lights). I still have trouble getting 110-115 up consistently.

118kg
http://youtu.be/2ogHsl9w13Q?t=28s

123kg (fail)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=O-bCxQVqfA0

My gym has two small platforms and bumper plates (which is awesome), but we don't have jerk blocks. My coach and I have talked about making some, but we don't have anywhere to put them other than the platforms.

Is there anything I can be doing to get my jerk weights up without the help of jerk blocks?

Thanks!
Jason Fiscer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
Jason Fiscer

If it makes a difference, I am about 6'4" and about 125kg. I've got a 157.5 FS and 182.5 BS and am on my last week of the 5 week front squat cycle to help get some strength up some more.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Matthew Beals

Let your back knee bend more as you reconnect with the platform. Think of doing like a quarter squat in your split position, right after the lockout. That way the force of the receive goes into your legs instead of your elbows.

It's a little hard to tell, but make sure you don't lose connection with the bar when you dip.... but now as I watch it again it looks ok. But your dip is probably too deep.

My $0.02 anyway, I only C&J about 85kg... but then again I'm only 78kg. ;-)
Matthew Beals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
Jason Fiscer

Thanks for the thoughts. I will try to be more conscious of getting lower when I drive under the bar. Reps, reps, reps...
Old 03-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
Istvan Samayoa

First on the video 123kg fail:

Might be the angle, but you should be splitting with that back leg bent, on the ball of your foot, looks like your foot is almost flat

Dip is slow, and you're not finishing the drive with your legs -

Stuff you can do without racks:

1. Push Press, light enough weight that racking it isn't to heavy, but heavy enough you can work on that quick shallow dip;

2. Jerk behind neck, can work a bit more on speed and heavier weights since its sitting on your traps.

3. Jumping Backsquats - I throw on 180kg (20kg less then best jerk) on my back, and just do quick shallow jumps with a lot of weight, good way to not only get used to weight, but practise finishing the drive with your legs on the jerk

4. You can always work on your jerk footwork, use a bar, get consistent in your split, then throw on more and more weight until you are hitting the heavy weights as consistently as you are hitting it with the bar.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
Jason Fiscer

Thanks Istvan. Definitely good stuff to work on.

And good luck this weekend!
Old 03-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
Tamara Reynolds

I have a lifter who is 6'5.5", so I understand your pain.

Try getting your elbows down more before you dip. Don't jerk from your rack position on your clean. If you can get your elbows down more.

You can see what I mean here on Caleb's and Spencer's jerks starting at 1:00 in:

Tamara Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote