Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 03-21-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
Steve Shafley

Default Adderall for Fat Kids

This is a bit disturbing:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/03/21...rss_topstories

Quote:
When Alex Veith was 11 years old, he was in a bad spot.

He was 30 pounds overweight, and blood tests showed he was headed toward Type 2 diabetes. His parents say Alex was already physically active and eating a healthy diet. They didn't know what to do.
Um...obviously not.

Kind of makes me uneasy giving a kid an ADHD med because it's an amphetamine and it kills your appetite.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

"His parents say Alex was already physically active and eating a healthy diet. "

F*** those parents...they are probably overweight, feed him whatever he wants to make him happy and think walking to get the mail is active...that and they don't want to be blamed for the obesity....so they say it must be genetic and whoolaa...some doctor will come along and say Yes it is genetic so a drug must be the only answer....because that is what doctors are trained to do.....thank god a profit making business called medicine is here to kill us all.....F**** this shit pisses me off.....can I say sh*t?
Old 03-21-2007, 09:27 PM   #3
Kevin Scott Kett

Agreed,

I would prefer the side effects of discipline, intestinal fortitude, and increased self worth that come along with exercise for my kids.
Kevin Scott Kett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:28 PM   #4
Greg Battaglia

Yeah, Mike I share your anger. People are just so uninformed these days. Just today I was explaining to an overweight classmate that going paleo would do wonders for her health all around. Her reply was that she had "bad genes" and she would rather be happy and fat rather than lean and healthy. She then stated that she SOMETIMES drinks water instead of soda and feels as though that somehow maintains her health (if that's what you want to call her state of existent). They just don't understand!
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:55 PM   #5
Pierre Auge

You know what, I'm starting not to care anymore! I love people which is why I do what I do. But I don't care for excuses and so I care about the people who walk in my door because they obviously want help, they're here. Thats who I put my attention towards.

The problem with human beings is that they are animals of contentment. They are too afraid of changing the status quo, fear drives us. It either drives us to improve or to languish in self pity. We are the minority who strive to improve. Survival of the Fittest!

To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. - Douglas Adams
Pierre Auge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:35 AM   #6
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Scott Kett View Post
Agreed,

I would prefer the side effects of discipline, intestinal fortitude, and increased self worth that come along with exercise for my kids.
Perfect response.

This is crazy! Well the side effect of this drug is weight loss so we'll get the kid to take this forever. In the article another Dr. says: "It's morally and medically questionable, so I don't think anyone's proud of doing this."

Maybe they aren't proud but I'll bet a lot of parents are clamoring to that Dr's door now!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:47 AM   #7
Frank Needham

Morons. Let's see....he is headed towards diabetes so how about we get him strung out on some sort of crank? Guaranteed the little sorry bastard won't be around to bother us for too many years.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:56 AM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Battaglia View Post
Her reply was that she had "bad genes" and she would rather be happy and fat rather than lean and healthy.
You can thank Oprah...Queen Latiffa...Tyra...and some other women who give the "it's ok not to try and exercise...no need to give up all that wonderful food that is really killing us....just be happy and shout to the world I am fat and proud....". What a bunch of crap that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Auge View Post
You know what, I'm starting not to care anymore! I love people which is why I do what I do. But I don't care for excuses and so I care about the people who walk in my door because they obviously want help, they're here. Thats who I put my attention towards.
I'm with you on that one, although in a way because of that it pretty much breaks my heart knowing that people are basing their decisions off all the wrong mainstream information....people who actually want to make a change but are fed all misleading ideas day in and out...and no matter how many people I can try and get too...the mainstream so called experts and media are just dragging us too quickly in the other direction....quite sad.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:53 AM   #9
Dave Van Skike

I'm not condoning this medical intervention for anyone, let alone kids. It sounds pretty fucked up to me... but ignorance abounds vis a vis what the hell ritalin,adderall (ne methylphenidate) is and how it works.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has actually taken methylphenidate adn can compare to say an ECA stack or even some biotest product like hot rox.

Methylphenidate is no big deal. For those that are not habituated to it, caffeine and many, many over the counter stims have similar results on the brain and in the appetite department. The ritalin stigma is about as overblown as the "i'm tubby becuase of my genes" argument.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:05 AM   #10
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
I'm with you on that one, although in a way because of that it pretty much breaks my heart knowing that people are basing their decisions off all the wrong mainstream information....people who actually want to make a change but are fed all misleading ideas day in and out...and no matter how many people I can try and get too...the mainstream so called experts and media are just dragging us too quickly in the other direction....quite sad.
Yup, I agree as well. I honestly just give some people advice or try to steer them in the right direction, but after that what they do is up to them. I encourage a lot of people to come workout/train with me, but I rarely get any people to come. Ironically, most of the people that come with me are the ones that don't need it in terms of dropping weight.

You can't make people do what they don't want to do.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote