Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 03-23-2007, 07:02 AM   #1
Dan Foster

Default Need Help

About 4 months ago my wife and I had a baby. Before the baby I was CF and Zoning religiously. Now with the baby I have not worked out, my eating has been crap and the sleep is horrible.I have made an attempt to get back into the swing of things and each time I have failed.I work 7:30 till 4:30 and then I watch my daugther in the evening while my wife works.I also do BJJ Sunday,Monday and Friday, Saturday. Any tips you guys can give me to get my self back into training with my busy schedule.My goal is to try and do the worlds in July.
Dan Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:06 AM   #2
joe murphy

congrats on the baby.

but you're pretty much screwed for a couple years. sorry.
joe murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:58 AM   #3
Jesse Woody

Default A couple of thoughts...

Buy a pull-up bar for the house, some rings, and build some parallettes. A sandbag or kettlebell would also be a good choice. When you're at the house, watching the kid, take the 5 or 10 minutes you have and throw together a workout. Mix it up, bust your ass and make it count. When they're babies it's MUCH easier to make the time than when they're 2-5 and can move around. You have limited time, so don't slack off in those windows that you create. In the time it took you to log onto the internet and post up, you could have done 50 burpees, which is better than nothing!

As for the diet...you have to find your own motivation...shopping and making food ahead of time helps a lot, but it's still a pain in the ass. I definitely feel you there, as I work from 6:30AM - 8:00PM every day. To top it off, I have the kids here at the gym while my wife works, so I have to take care of keeping them busy and fed while working with clients. It's a balancing act, and if you let yourself get behind it's hard to get back on top. Sit down and make a plan, work out the shopping etc. on Sunday, cook a bunch of everything and find some portable options and go balls to the wall with it, just like a workout.

Good luck!
Jesse Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:01 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Ha...I think what Joe meant to say is....take it slow and one thing at a time...if you take a small step each day/week...you can make tremendous progress in a year....don't try to do all or nothing....that is a guaranteed way to fail.

#1 start with getting nutrition back on track...85% of weight loss or gain will come from that...plus the right nutrition will give you more energy to take on other tasks....Get 1 or 2 workouts planned for the week....and then fit them in when you can....you have to do at least 1 workout a week, don't make excuses just make time somewhere. Progress those 1-2 workouts, along with eating the right way will get you great results. Use small parts of the day to practice or GTG as they say.....do 10 pushups every hour.....do 5 pullups every time you walk past the pullup bar.....etc.....it can happen, just make a lifestyle out of it.

Again....take small steps...start every day with a plan...never "wing it"....even if you just have 1 goal a day....accomplish that goal....then make another the next day...and the next.....in a month you accomplished 30 goals.....as opposed to writing down 30 goals at once and carrying that huge overwhelming list around with you...you will be lucky to do 1 or 2 in a month. (You don't sit down and write a novel...you write one page a day...and have a novel done in a year.)
Old 03-23-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
Dan Foster

thanks guys and keep them coming. I do have a pull-up bar and kb's already. I have to remind my self to take it easy and not to try and go all out right away.
Dan Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:19 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Use the 80/20 rule

80% of your results come from 20% of what is on your to do list
the other 80% only gives you 20% of your results

Prioritize and simplify to focus only on the 20% that yield 80%.....ignore everything else....

or something like that....either way, start your day with 10 min of goal planning....even if one goal...keep it simple...live your day and feel great that you accomplished your goal......repeat every day for the rest of your life....you will succeed at anything you try.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:24 PM   #7
Dave Van Skike

Congratulations. You are so.....

Foxtrot
Uniform
Charlie
Tango

A couple quick things. Mike and Jessie are giving good advice. However, I would propose a couple alternatives. remember, your job just changed, if you don't remember that, the little squirts will remind you. Nap early and often. eat right as much as you can. Schedule workouts with mom but don't worry if the plan breaks down. Flexibility is your key to survival. Supple like a reed, hard like a diamond..

Your BJJ schedule sounds solidly worked out so, you just want to tag onto that. Don't try to add a bunch more new time commitments

As far as the day to day goes, here are some things that got me through.
Pull-ups, lots of em.
grease the groove with heavy lifts that tax your core, windmills work well.
Get outside, a workout is great but sometimes you just need a walk.
Weighted vest plus baby stroller, or a baby backpack.
you'll look like a suicide bomber but it will work to keep you frosty.
Did I mention napping? Yeah, do that. Try to superset 15 minute naps with kettlebell swings.

Don't forget mom, she will need lots of the same things you'll need only cubed.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:08 PM   #8
Ken Urakawa

I'm feeling your pain, Dan! Jesse hit it on the head, though--if you can fight through the sleep deprivation, it's a lot easier to work out with an infant than a toddler. Wait until you have 2...then it really gets fun. All you can do is just take advantage of whatever time you have.

And Dave is right on (and not just about the Foxtrot). Enjoy this time while they still nap frequently. Short bursts of activity will help keep you going, too.

One thing you could try is to set workout goals for yourself for the month/week--make it realistic, but then commit to those goals. Break it into daily goals--"I will do 5 minutes of kettlebell swings and 5 minutes of pullups today." And then budget it into your timeline.

Good luck to you, sir!
Ken Urakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:27 PM   #9
Frank Needham

I've got a 20 yr old daughter and an 8 mth old son. Time to cowboy up for you my friend. Here's my short list for you:
1) Get used to being tired.
2) Work out before everyone else is up.
3) Plan and cook meals ahead. Using a slow-cooker is a good skill to learn.
4) All other time is no longer really yours.
It depends a great deal on your situation. My wife is amazing. Anyone that can get up 2-4 times a night to breastfeed, work the next day, not get sick doing it, and put up with me is not from this world. I go to school 3 nights a week and study on weekends mostly to boot. You'll figure it out, or kick trying....
Old 03-23-2007, 09:59 PM   #10
Yael Grauer

Get yourself a copy of Never Gymless!! It will help.