Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Supplements

Old 03-29-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
Derek Simonds

Default Creatine supplementation

As I posted on another thread I read Mens Health when I am traveling. Here is a well written article about creatine supplementation.

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/articl...0013281eac____

When I started my mass gain plan I started using 6 grams per day. Based on what is outlined in here it seems like to see the most benefits you need to load first. Anyone have practical results one way or another.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:00 PM   #2
Mark Bennett

hey, Derek

General opinion now is that there is no need for the loading phase with creatine, as much of this just goes to waste.

Good article here on creatine types/timing etc [URL="http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-156-diet

Personally I have had good results with 5 grams per day no loading.

Mark
Mark Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

taking 5 grams a day for 30 days....is as good as doing a 1-2 week loading phase of like 30g/day...Personally I think that whole loading thing came from EAS when they came out with Phosphagen HP and charged like $35 for 20 servings...and they wanted to make a ton more money....great marketing scam, use science to jack up your own sales.......just take it PWO you'll do fine.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
Robert Allison

You might try taking about 5 grams right before bed also. I have been trying that & have found it to be effective.
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:08 AM   #5
Robb Wolf

Creatine has some really interesting properties even beyond performance enhancement...and it's cheap. 5g/day makes sense to me.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:09 AM   #6
Jonas Lind

Did it for a couple of months about five years ago. Felt the effects for sure. Downside then was that I started looking and feeling like a balloon after a while from all the water that stuck on me.
Is there anything one can do to avoid that?

I also hear the new types of C don't bind water like that. True?
Jonas Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:12 AM   #7
Steve Liberati

Noticed adequate water intake upwards of at least a gallon a day greatly reduces any water retention. Funny how our bodies need water to release water same how we need fat to rid fat.

Also word of caution...don't take creatine and probiotics at the same time unless you don't mind having a major stomach ache. I found out the hard way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Lind View Post
Did it for a couple of months about five years ago. Felt the effects for sure. Downside then was that I started looking and feeling like a balloon after a while from all the water that stuck on me.
Is there anything one can do to avoid that?

I also hear the new types of C don't bind water like that. True?
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:19 AM   #8
Dave Van Skike

I took it for several months when I raced bikes. Worked sort of great, sort of not.

Back then I ate pretty poorly little meat, etc. I have an entry form a training journal that says "Super Legs!!" followed by severl top ten finishes in the local criterium circuit..then an enrty from a road race that says.. "Cramp, Puke, DFL. No more creatine"

My diet is alot more squared away currently and I tried it again recently. No appreciabel impact to any of my lifts.

My take it, if your diet is low in meat and fish, it's may be the actual bomb. Drink plenty of water, don't take it during an long endurance event.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:22 PM   #9
John Alston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
Creatine has some really interesting properties even beyond performance enhancement...and it's cheap. 5g/day makes sense to me.
WHat are these properties? I seem to be aware of it mostly as a "volumizer" or something that increased size, but I wasn't aware of strength gains from it.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:42 PM   #10
Cassidy Drake

He is most likely speaking of the GH output at bedtime and the neurological effects on some applications of brain response etc.
Cassidy Drake is offline   Reply With Quote