Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 04-04-2007, 05:38 AM   #1
James Evans

Default Anyone done or heard of this KB workout?

Came across a snippet of a routine the other day. Basically this:

50 swings @ 24k
as many sets as possible in 12 minutes.

I guess the next time you do it you aim to up the rounds, 'Escalating Density' style. I have no idea how often you would do this and for how long and what the actual aim would be. Is it to build for something else like max rep snatches?

Anyone familiar with this or something similar?
James Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:45 AM   #2
Catherine Imes

Here is what I do on occasion..I try to do 500 swings as fast as I can (250L/250R). The fastest I've done this with a 24kg is 16 or 17 minutes. Now, that was breaking up the sets anyway I could. Other times, I might do as many reps as I can in 10 minutes.

I've done 5X50L/50R swings @ 24kg in 18 something....

I'm not sure what's magical about 12 minutes, but it's not a bad idea. I'm also not sure if you are talking about 50 one arm swings (which are a great builder towards snatches) or 2 arm swings.

CI
Catherine Imes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:51 AM   #3
Catherine Imes

As to how often? Depends. You could throw it into your workouts randomnly. Some days, I do 3X30/30 32kg. Other days I do 1X70/70 @ 24kg. Then usually one day a week, I will do some more serious volume. I don't do the 500 swing workout too often, but it is a good one when my hands and shoulders need a break from snatching.

CI
Old 04-04-2007, 07:14 AM   #4
Robb Wolf

James-
The density training is good stuff. Crossfit uses this method frequently. Depending upon how you structure the rep scheme you can have a good strength session, or like the WO you mention above metabolic scorcher.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:39 AM   #5
James Evans

Catherine, I was hoping that you or Jason might answer.

I was curious as to whether this rang a bell with any of the more KB savvy. I saw mention of it, had a further look and came to the silly video I posted yesterday but nothing more on topic.

I had two thoughts really, is this a metcon blast or is it part of a wider KB training scheme with the view to developing strength endurance?

I have no idea whether we are talking 1 or 2 handed swings (I assumed 2 handed). All that was specified was sets of 50 with the 24kg in a 12 minute time frame.

Robb, I reckon you punish your mind as much as any other part of your body with something like this. There is a Gym Jones SMMF element don't you think?
James Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:52 AM   #6
Catherine Imes

It could definitely be a met-con blast, but is definitely applicable to those interested in increasing snatch numbers or strength endurance.

Relatively heavy swings (for me that's 24kg or 32kg) are a very anaerobic exercise. They are much faster paced than snatches because there is no lockout or stop (obvious). Your grip and your wind will get taxed much faster. I reckon I do about 40rpm. So, when I've done 75L/75R. I do the 75L, rest 30 seconds, then do the 75R. I'm not at a point where I can do them back to back..at least not without breaking up the reps.

Note, i'm not talking about the "American Swing" Overhead, I'm talking about the Russian Swing to chest level.

A really fun (haha) thing that I like to do is rowing and swings circuits (maybe throw in some thrusters or jerks too). So, I might row 500M, do 50/50 Swings, and then maybe something else..

I'm a kettlebell sport competitor. I view swings as an anaerobic component to my training that will tax my grip and posterior chain. But, even when I'm not training for a specific competition, I view the swings as a very good key exercise. They can be done relatively safely while fatigued. I've also experienced a fair amount of hypertrophy in my back and biceps from the heavy/high rep swings.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #7
Jason C. Brown

Hey James,

I've seen similar workouts never a program based around anything like this. Sounds like fun though.

Cate,

I miss you!
Jason C. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:30 PM   #8
Catherine Imes

Hey Sexy..I miss you too

CI
Old 04-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #9
Jonas Lind

Lovely.

Nice info too.