Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 04-06-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
kevin mckay

Default How overweight have you been?

Curious as a former fat guy, If I do not work out and do not eat right my body likes to be around 210-220. I am 39 yo currently 175lb for the last 2 years and in pretty darn good shape, probably better than high school but my body wants to be fat so it takes constant effort and vigilance. Anyway wanted to see who else is a recovering large person.

Cheers
Thank god for pale, zone, IF and GPP!
Old 04-06-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
Catherine Imes

I'm 5'4 and I've been close to 220 around Jan 2006(no one would believe I weighed that). My weight now is around 185 and it's held there steady for awhile. I tend to plateau for few months then start losing again..I've started losing again now because i'm really cleaning up my diet and started consuming the missing veggies through a Vita Mix (Thanks to Kelly Moore for the idea).

I tend to carry a lot of muscle for a female. On a good day, I can knock off a couple of of strict pullups at my current weight..So, while my strength to BW ratio isn't great, it is much better than it was. I figure I probably need to drop another 35lbs.

CI
Catherine Imes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:25 PM   #3
Troy Archie

5'-10" 200lbs

Nothing too major but I was just pure flab. It's like if you took the skinny 130lbs kid but added 70lbs of fat, you'd get me.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:50 PM   #4
Ronnie Ashlock

My heaviest was in 1996 years when I weighed 235 @ 5'11" with no exercise and a bad diet. I started running consistently 10 years ago after looking in the mirror and being disgusted with what I saw staring, slack-jawed, back at me. About 4 years later, after figuring out the output (exercise) and input (food) ratio I got down to 170. About a year-and-a-half later, I got it all the way down to 155, but wasn't eating much (one meal a day - I guess was doing a screwed-up, incorrect version intermittent fasting without realizing it) and did nothing but run 7 miles every day which gave me the strength of a newborn kitten. About 3-and-a-half years ago I started weight training with a friend and stumbled onto Crossfit through my training partner friend. Trained with him for about two years before he moved across the country and then I just did Crossfit exclusively for about 8 months. My interest in Olympic weightlifting took off from there and that's where I'm at now. I'm not so interested in getting good WOD scores, but have a lot of respect for what Crossfit can do for a person. Currently, and for the foreseeable future, my main goal is in improving as much as I can in the Olympic lifts while not packing on any fat.

Last time I weighed myself, about a month ago, I was 189, but I don't look fat and I still have a noticeable jawline (when the jawline disappears, that's when I know I'm getting tubby). I'll weigh in tomorrow for a local lifting meet and it'll be interesting to see where I'm at.

I eat clean about 80 to 85% of the time. I went about 3.5 years totally hardcore on Atkins and had 100% compliance. I never strayed. Did the Zone for about six weeks when I first started Crossfit and thought "This ain't for me." MLB (Meat Leaves Berries) works best because I don't have to think about it and it is generally self-limiting (almost impossible for me to overeat on it) and I feel great. Now, I have protein shakes a few times a day and I don't seem to be getting fat. I only make allowances for dessert a few times a year - at Thanksgiving, Christmas and the occasional family member's birthday. It would be no problem for me to pork up again fast, so I know I have to be diligent or it's game over and I might as well get an insulin drip.
Ronnie Ashlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:15 AM   #5
Steve Shafley

5'11.5"

265-270# on average.

I'm working on dropping it. I've gotten a bit nervous about carrying around this much weight at the age of 38, considering there's really no performance benefit to it.

I'm focusing on a loss of bodyfat, though, not on scale weight.

I need to implement some lifestyle changes, on a permanent basis, really.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:49 AM   #6
Robb Wolf

I tend to be on the other extreme. Skiiiinay! I worked up to 198 (5'9") for a PL meet once. I had to eat literally all day long AND set an alarm to eat during the middle of the night. Not a pretty picture, not a lot of fun.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:02 AM   #7
Steve Liberati

Maybe overweight in my eyes....but far from it in reality. Some minor self-perception issues in the past. Minor issues at that...but something that constantly drives me to be in great shape and leaner than my present state of health and fitness.

My wife tells me I'm like a girl sometimes spending too much time worrying about my weight Tell her, at least its not the other way around...where I could give a shit like so many other guys out there.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:29 AM   #8
Derek Simonds

When I was in college I was riding BMX all the time. I got a job selling cars and went from very active to very inactive instantly. I was working 70 hours a week partying Wednesday through Sunday and drinking 44 oz sodas all through the day to keep awake. I won a trip to Cancun and my girl took a picture of me playing beach volleyball with no shirt on. I had skinny arms and a pot belly. Not so happy. That was when I decided I needed to change. I probably didn't weigh much more than now it just was all in the wrong places.

I have done the same thing as Dave I went the endurance route lost a ton of weight. I didn't really like the POW look I was sporting so I went to a traditional BB'ing split and started eating like a fiend. It wasn't clean and I ended up around 205 and lifting more than I ever have. Still didn't like where I was and stumbled on Crossfit 2 years ago. The 6 months I played with it than beginning of last year I started doing the WOD exclusively. I shed fat, and increased my GPP a ton. I can't lift as much as before but that is all changing again.

I slowly modified my diet and am really focusing on (P + F + V) and (P + C) model that we have talked about in the mass gain thread.

Currently I am right at 190 and around 12% BF, not too bad for 6'1". I have really broad shoulders so I think I could easily hold 10 -15 lb's more of muscle. My main goal now is to add some more muscle and build strength.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:46 AM   #9
Jamila Bey

I gained 65# in two years from Depo-Provera injections in 2000-2001 and topped out at ~235#. I'm 5'9" and I'd like to imagine that carry a HUGE amount of muscle for a girl. At my smallest in college I was 165# and I don't know my BF% but I had a visible 4pack and I was a size 8-10. I don't think I should ever be as small as an 8 again because that is just too skinny for my body.

Right now, I'm playing football and O-lifting and I'm at 198, the lowest I've been since the "great breakup diet of 03" when I got down to 185 and looked FANTASTIC (If I say so myself!) There's an outfit I've got to be in my the end of May and I'm V-dieting again (12 pounds in 2 weeks the 1st time I did it!) to make sure I get there.
Jamila Bey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:40 AM   #10
Mike ODonnell

never really that overweight at 200lbs (6'1")....just more bodyfat as a kid....looked bigger.....I'm only 10lbs lighter than I was in college....but look like I lost a lot more due to the lower BF%...