Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 04-18-2007, 06:11 AM   #1
Derek Simonds

Default Mass gain template testing

A couple of questions.

1) Should I use the same basic principals that Coach Rip describes in the CFT for the loading progressions?

2) Since I am testing off the mass gain template anyone have any thoughts on what order to test the exercises i.e. finish with weighted P/U's or Cleans. My gut is to do press first, snatch, clean and then P/U's.

3) After I have completed each of these with the appropriate rest could I test my back squat or would that be too much for one day?

4) Lastly based on the Dan John 'TM' of sorta, max, max max, max max max scale where should I be shooting for intenisty?

I am excited to see what 5 weeks of work has done for me. Thanks in advnce for the input.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:55 AM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

1) What are those?

2) snatch, clean, press, pull-ups. test technical lifts before basic strength lifts.

3) you can test your BS, but keep in mind it may be tainted somewhat becuase of all the other work, namely the cleans (how affected it is depends on a few things, such as how close your max clean is to your squat).

4) Max is your absolute maximal effort. Sorta max is really a product of being short on training experience--but at that moment, it's still your max effort. You should not be holding back. Don't be afraid to faii on an attempt.

5) Oh wait there is no 5.

Good luck!

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
Derek Simonds

Greg thanks for the information. Even number 5 helped I interperted it as just lift.

I should have been more specific earlier. I have used the percentages from the CFT article to determine my opening weights whenever I test for a max. Here is the text I was referring to

Quoted from the article titled Crossfit Total

"The first attempt would be a weight you know you can do for a heavy set of three. The second attempt would be a weight you know without any doubt that you could do for a single, having just done the first attempt. And the third attempt is the weight you want to do, based on your performance on the previous two attempts. If you have made a mistake setting your first attempt, the next two will need to be adjusted, but you should know what you can triple, and this will always be a safe first attempt. And since you know this weight, you know what weights to use to warm up for it: you’ll use the lightest weight that you normally start with for your first warm-up when you train, and 90% of the first attempt for the last warm-up, with either three or four relatively even increments in between these two. For instance, warm-ups for a 405-pound first attempt on the squat would be:
135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 2
275 x 1
325 x 1
365 x 1"

I am going to shoot for a 180 to 200 lb clean so based on the above formula I would traditionally half the weights and do the same rep scheme to get warmed up.

I will post my results Friday or Saturday.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:55 AM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

call me a simpleton, but that is way too much thinking for me. i would just say do your normal warm-up weights, but keep the reps low (i.e. sttart with 3s, and drop to 1s as you reach maybe 75-80% or so--with sn and cln, never more than 2s). just get the feel of the increasing weight without taxing yourself. but if all that math works for you, do it up!

also, with the sn and cln, you can take more smaller jumps (i know that sounds awkward - i mean more jumps of less weight) as you near your max. e.g. early you may take 15-20 kg jumps, then 10kg, then 5kg, then even 1-3 kg.

so let''s say your best sn is 100. you might do bar x whatever, 50x2, 60x2, 70x1x2, 80x1, 85x1, 90x1, 95x1, 100x1. if you haven't made 100 very many times, you may do 94,97,100 or something. then depending on how that 100 feels, add a little more.

also again, there may be times when you miss a lift and you opt to increase the weight anyway--sometimes you just do something stupid and don't make it, but you can tell you could have made it easily. instead of wasting time retaking that weight, move up. but don't get greedy and start adding weight after every miss. attempts don't count for your max!

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
Derek Simonds

Got It!

Excellent overview of the entire process.