Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 04-23-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
Mike ODonnell

Default Diets fail...but that's good??

"Dr. Samuel Klein, an obesity expert at Washington University in St. Louis, said a diet’s success shouldn’t just be measured in pounds. If a person becomes healthier even if the weight loss is temporary, that should be deemed a success.

“There might be benefits in losing weight for a period of time even if you regain it than not having lost the weight at all,” Klein said."

So an "expert" thinks it is ok......to lose fat and muscle....then gain more fat back than in the first place with less muscle and lowered metabolism?...and that is "healthier"? Thank god experts like him are helping with the obesity epidemic...oh wait...the numbers are still going up.....Hmmmmm....a 4th grader can do this math....

from the riveting article: "Dieting usually fails in the long run, study finds
But is it better to have lost and gained than never to have lost at all?"
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18260925/

oh and the best part:
"People who have been able to keep their weight off share common traits, according to the National Weight Control Registry, which tracks over 5,000 people who shed significant pounds and kept it off.
Here are some of their strategies:
— Eat breakfast daily.
— Eat a moderately low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet.
— Keep track of progress through weigh-ins, food diaries.
— Get LOTS of exercise — 60 to 90 minutes daily."

Yeah....cause 90min of steady state cardio is the most effective and realistic way for time crunched America.....oh and have lots of carbs.....damn...
Old 04-23-2007, 02:29 PM   #2
Neal Winkler

Well, I'm from St. Louis, so do you want me to go over and talk to this guy or what?
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:34 PM   #3
Catherine Imes

Yeah..Neil, you could go over and choke him out...

CI
Catherine Imes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:07 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

I'm more curious how one becomes an obesity expert.....is it because he knows how to keep people fat?
Old 04-23-2007, 03:13 PM   #5
Pierre Auge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
I'm more curious how one becomes an obesity expert.....is it because he knows how to keep people fat?
I would assume so, because individuals who make people lose weight are generaly refered to as fat loss experts!

To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. - Douglas Adams
Pierre Auge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:19 PM   #6
Catherine Imes

I guess that makes me an obesity expert...

CI
Catherine Imes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
Neal Winkler

How dare you say to eat breakfast and eat a high-carb diet for weight loss!!! *triangle choke*
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:19 AM   #8
Garrett Smith

In the same vein, there have been some new studies that have been brought to my attention regarding probiotics:

"Good" bacteria make you fat: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture05414.html
Jon Barron's response (I highly suggest his newsletter, he's a little shaky on the meat thing, but the rest of his stuff is very intelligent): http://www.jonbarron.org/newsletters/07/1-1-2007.php

Next thing I know, a colleague of mine is telling a patient that he may have Crohn's and that she's found research possibly linking it to an autoimmune reaction to the good bacteria in the gut. So the patient, who had been seeing us both, stops the probiotics I give him (which had noticeably slowed his diarrhea frequency). Her treatment doesn't work, he gets worse. I talk him out of the fear and get him on my "big gun" probiotics again. Next day the diarrhea has all but stopped.

Watch out for all the research that will come out now on how probiotics are "bad" for you. That, along with a ton of crappy probiotic products. These things (especially the right ones) are so good for people that the powers that be in the background who make all their money off people being sick will need to discredit them.

Argh.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:11 AM   #9
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
"Dr. Samuel Klein, an obesity expert at Washington University in St. Louis, said a diet’s success shouldn’t just be measured in pounds. If a person becomes healthier even if the weight loss is temporary, that should be deemed a success.

“There might be benefits in losing weight for a period of time even if you regain it than not having lost the weight at all,” Klein said."

So an "expert" thinks it is ok......to lose fat and muscle....then gain more fat back than in the first place with less muscle and lowered metabolism?...and that is "healthier"? Thank god experts like him are helping with the obesity epidemic...oh wait...the numbers are still going up.....Hmmmmm....a 4th grader can do this math....

from the riveting article: "Dieting usually fails in the long run, study finds
But is it better to have lost and gained than never to have lost at all?"
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18260925/

oh and the best part:
"People who have been able to keep their weight off share common traits, according to the National Weight Control Registry, which tracks over 5,000 people who shed significant pounds and kept it off.
Here are some of their strategies:
— Eat breakfast daily.
— Eat a moderately low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet.
— Keep track of progress through weigh-ins, food diaries.
— Get LOTS of exercise — 60 to 90 minutes daily."

Yeah....cause 90min of steady state cardio is the most effective and realistic way for time crunched America.....oh and have lots of carbs.....damn...
Regardless of the recommendations on nutiorition and excercise,
(which I think we would all agree are pretty weak) I think there is some benefit to the "try and try again model"..If...the diets are sound to begin with (not fadish or silly) and the person doesn't use the failure as an excuse to give up totally.

I know many folks who have succeeded long term at "lifestyle" changes by going after it them in bouts...

stopping smoking, learining to eat right, finding a pattern of healthful activity, getting enough sleep etc.

Bottom line, you don't always get it right the first time.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:12 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

Practice makes perfect, especially with food in this day and age...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote