Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 04-30-2007, 04:29 PM   #1
Dave Van Skike

Default Another T-bag article. Eccentrics?

Ummm yeah. It's really lame but It got me thinking.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1551258

I recently have had good luck with partial movements, overloads etc. Got me thinking about eccentrics.

Observation. Heavy eccentrics (like overload movements and heavy partials) seem to really get the whole team of muscle units firing on the same target. Wonder if folks have had luck incorporating these sort of movements either for high strength moves (big squat, big pull, big press) or for strength endurance. I have read some good stuff from Ross Entamait on isometrics for speed. Seems like just another good tool to have around. It's the spice, not the steak of course.....
Old 04-30-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
Gary John

Default Pavel at T-nation

Nice to see him co-authoring at T-nation:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...dra?id=1551258

One of those articles where you kind of wait for the:

And?

Still, interesting first step. T-nation seems to be trying to clean up its act.
Gary John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:13 PM   #3
-Ross Hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
Ummm yeah. It's really lame but It got me thinking.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1551258

I recently have had good luck with partial movements, overloads etc. Got me thinking about eccentrics.
How have you incorporated them? How'd it go?

I have never seriously incorporated partials or overloads, myself, so I'm curious.
-Ross Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:47 PM   #4
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ross Hunt View Post
How have you incorporated them? How'd it go?

I have never seriously incorporated partials or overloads, myself, so I'm curious.

I'm on a heavy/light/medium I pulled straight out of Practical Programming.

Monday is a high intensity/relatively high volume day for squats, presses and dead lifts. At the suggestion of Peter Puetz, I started subbing in partial dead lifts on Monday. Current sorta max is 405 from the floor. So today I pulled 3 sets of 3 at 570 from the 6th pin, just above the knees. it seems to really help me focus on completely focused contraction. I also like to do walk outs and 1/4 squats with about 100 pounds over my max squat to help me warm up for a big squat.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:22 AM   #5
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary John View Post

One of those articles where you kind of wait for the:

And?
Exactly what my thoughts were as I read the article....I thought there would be some tie together blurb after both authors had said their piece.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:02 AM   #6
Steve Shafley

Heavy eccentrics are one of those things...research says they rock, but almost nobody I know who's tried them have keep doing them in their training cycles.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:04 AM   #7
Rick Deckart
Banned

Owen Anderson wrote several articles about excentric training: in the context of long distance running as preemptive measure against soreness (which actually works extremely well) and for rehabilitation purposes, especially Achilles tendonitis. I still have these articles so if anybody is interested...
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:14 AM   #8
Derek Simonds

I have a friend in MI who has been providing me moral support on squats and swears by over max walk outs. He wants me to do them to get used to the weight so I don,t freak out as the lb's increase.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:05 AM   #9
Garrett Smith

I think DD's taken a big hit in business with their overpriced KBs and is trying to expand the Party by getting out there more...they probably set up T-Nation as an "affiliate".

Seriously, Pavel took one study and said what they did (basically). That's his part of the article. If I held myself to that standard, even I could write an article a day...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:19 AM   #10
Danny John

The method works well, though. It might not be for everyone, but I tried this basic idea in 1991...I wish I would have had better advice (Pavel or Dick Smith) FIRST...and my squat went through the roof. I have an interview somewhere with Dick Smith and he is the one to turn me on to the idea that your nervous system gets tapped out doing these hyperloaded moves.

Later, Mike Rosenberg developed the "tap tester" for me and that was the first way I tried to test the nervous system. Short review: you can do light crappy reps in a lot of things and not affect the tap test. Maximal lifts quickly lead to a slower tap time. So...I inferred that heavy training is wonderful, but has to be used intelligently when doing a sport.

It's a concept that completely changed my approach to competition.
Danny John is offline   Reply With Quote