Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 05-08-2007, 08:20 AM   #1
Chris Lowndes

Default IF For dummies

Hello,

A couple of questions:

1. What are the perceived benefits to IF
2. Is there a basic protocol to follow
3. What are the reasons persons have undertook IF?

Regards

Chris

PS if anyone can point me in the direction of a thread which covers IF then that would be helpful :-)
Chris Lowndes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:37 AM   #2
Robert Allison

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure there is just one thread that covers IF, but if you poke around the Intermittent Fasting sub-forum, you will find a lot of material. Also, a number of back issues of the PM have articles on IF.

Dr. Michael Eades had a great blog post of IF a while back:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/?p=278

Free download on IF at: http://www.fast-5.com/

And Art Devany's site and the Nutrition forum over at CrossFit also have some good info.

Happy Hunting!
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:50 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

there should be a whole section dedicated to IF threads on the PM forum....that and go back through some old PM journals.....lots of great info....

Benefits: not worrying about food all day, less oxidative damage, slow down ageing, keep muscle, burn fat, increased insulin sensitivity, reduced risk of most all major diseases....if not all.....

Protocol...dont eat...drink water/tea/coffee only....condense calories to a shorter window....it's not calorie restriction as you are still getting enough calories in....either do a short eating window every day or eat every other day (2x food on days eating)....benefits is you may need less calories to maintain muscle and burn fat...

Reasons...sick of living life around food all day...just never seemed natural...want to improve health and fitness...feel better....and not be a slave to the fork....works well.....
Old 05-08-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Ron Nelson

Agree.

I picked the "Fast-5" program because it was, by far, the easiest to follow.
Wake up, don't eat until 5-ish, eat, stop by 10. Don't worry about what you consume because in the long run it will all balance out.
Also, if you "fall off the wagon" one day, you can get back on it the next with no damage done. As the Fast-5 e-book says, "The mountain will be waiting for you the next day."

I even break my fast early on the weekends due to relentless pressure from my wife and kids to eat lunch if we are out. My wife tells everyone that I'm observing Ramadan every day. She also complains about the fact that there's a bunch of food in the house I haven't eaten. I tell her, "Just give me time."

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:18 AM   #5
Chris Lowndes

Default IF for dummies

Thnaks for the advice.

How often do you IF [every couple of weeks for a couple of days?]

regards

chris
Chris Lowndes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:15 AM   #6
Scott Kustes

Mine is more of an IIF (Intermittent Intermittent Fasting). My fasts are of varying lengths, 15-26 hours and I don't fast everyday, but I do most days. I probably eat breakfast once, maybe twice a week at most, those days obviously being a non-fast day.

Some people do a 15-hour daily fast. Some do 24-on, 24-off. Find what works for you.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:03 AM   #7
Bo Bolund

There are several schedules for IF:

Eades 24/24 (Fast/Eat)
Masochist 36/12
Eades-lite 20/28
Warrior 20/4

My schedule is warrior style 22-23/1-2

The benefits of IF:
Lower insulin release, higher glucagon release.
Neuroprotective effects
Overall increased life expectancy and health
Old 06-13-2007, 07:23 AM   #8
Robb Wolf

Bo!
Glad we finally got you signed up! Sorry it took so long.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:50 AM   #9
Bo Bolund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
Bo!
Glad we finally got you signed up! Sorry it took so long.
Better late than never, although I would have preferred the name dessbee smith
Old 06-13-2007, 09:50 AM   #10
Edward Friedman

I agree with the various reasons posted. Here is another. IF is great for people that enjoy eating.

I enjoy and appreciate food much more now that I don't eat at all for most of the day, then I did when I grazed or when I ate "several small meals".

Huh ?

Here's what I mean.

I do Fast-5 or IF 19/5. When my "window" opens, I am really appreciative for the food I am about to enjoy. There is a powerful demarcation / delineation between the eating and non-eating times/cycles of the day. I love this sub-rhythm of the larger life-rhythms.

As with any dichotomy/dualistic/yin-yang view, anything can be best appreciated seen through the lens of it's relative opposite. IME, satiety is realized more fully when hunger is realized more fully. When the window is about to open, I usually take a few moments to very solemnly reflect upon the meaning of what is about to happen and what I am about to do.

I say a prayer of Gratitude. (To be "PC" about it, others, not religiously inclined, may wish to reflect upon the (secular) "miracle" of what is before them; eg; the "wonder" of the food chain, the delivery system that got the food where it is, the chain of people whose labor brought the food to where it is, the amazing biology that allows the food to become energy and to become us, etc...Yes, grazers and frequent-meal-eaters can manifest similar perspectives. IMHO and IME, IF facilitates same much more powerfully. )

Then, when it is time to eat...play ball ! Eat with mucho gusto ! Relish in the pleasure of eating as large a meal as you like. Seconds ? No problem. Thirds ? Sure. "Does anyone else want some of this delicioius____________ ?...Otherwise, I am going to finish it. " Being liberated from doubt about portion size, meal frequency, it's like arriving at the afterlife destination in the movie "Defending Your Life". Then, once "adjusted" to IF, waking up in the morning and feeling that good energy lightness, no need to eat until much later, I don't have to clutter my mind with those concerns. Then weighing myself after last night's feast and being O.K. with the reading. It's all good !

All the best,

Eddie
Edward Friedman is offline   Reply With Quote