Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 05-11-2007, 05:23 AM   #1
Steve Shafley

Default A PMenu Training Manifesto

Anyone want to take a crack at one? It's an interesting and progressive bunch we've got here. Danny John's influence is undeniable, and so is the Olympic lifting influence, and the metaprinciples behind Crossfit.

At this point, though, how can everything is not be somewhat derivative?

I think the Power Bias is an important part, as is, of course, the proper nutritional strategies for both longevity and performance.

HORMEOSIS!
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:37 AM   #2
Will Heffernan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post
Anyone want to take a crack at one? It's an interesting and progressive bunch we've got here. Danny John's influence is undeniable, and so is the Olympic lifting influence, and the metaprinciples behind Crossfit.

At this point, though, how can everything is not be somewhat derivative?

I think the Power Bias is an important part, as is, of course, the proper nutritional strategies for both longevity and performance.

HORMEOSIS!
Ahhh...what the hell are you talking about?

Are you looking for a Universal Training Theory?
Will Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:44 AM   #3
Steve Shafley

No, the PMenu philosophy on training, basically.

Which has nothing to do with your legendary and secret Universal Training Theory, Coach Heffernan.

Use this analogy:

A training philosophy for a hero as opposed to a training philosophy for a soldier.

Celtic Warrior vs Roman Centurion
Plains Brave vs US Cavalry
(and for Jamila)
Zulu Warrior vs British Calvary
Old 05-11-2007, 05:49 AM   #4
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post
HORMEOSIS!
You beat me to the punch!

I have been thinking about this since I get asked what I do for exercise all the time while I am traveling. I was in Jacksonville NC and a guy that was sharing the curl rack with me said do you do a lot of endurance training. This was as I was doing snatches. The guy out weighed me easily by a 100 lb's and was using the same bar as I was snatching for straight leg deadlifts. I replied no I do a wide variety of exercises focusing on O-Lifts and functional movements with a power bias. Needless to say that created an extremely puzzled look on his face so I said yeah I am a triathlete and that seemed to placate the beast.

The problem is explaining the power bias. I refer people to the first article I ever read in the Performance Menu about Power Bias, the problem is most don't get the concept of functional movements and metcon to begin with.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:01 AM   #5
James Evans

This is probably not the point to step with:

"It's Muthaf@ckin' arms day! Sweet!"

Careful you all hear? Don't go stealing anyone's IP now....
Old 05-11-2007, 06:11 AM   #6
chris hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Evans
This is probably not the point to step with:

"It's Muthaf@ckin' arms day! Sweet!"
or "Don't forget to bench"
chris hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:57 AM   #7
James Evans

I've been enjoying the daily schedule over at Gym Jones lately with regards the references to Pat O'Shea. I think Steve has mentioned this in another thread.

Generally Mark Twight is illustrating the adage that there is 'nothing new under the sun'.

This from yesterday:

Today’s workout is based on the Interval Weight Training concept developed by Pat O’Shea and described in the NSCA Journal, volume 9, number 2, 1987. “One such method may be found in the concept of Interval Weight Training (IWT) first proposed by this writer in 1969. From a scientific and technical standpoint IWT is a highly sophisticated and effective means of multi-variable cross-training to optimize performance in a wide variety of sports. Through the proper selection and manipulation of IWT intensity (load, intensity, volume, and frequency of training) an extremely high level of total athletic fitness can be achieved.” The 1969 date is referenced in O’Shea’s publication, Scientific Principles and Methods of Strength Fitness, Random House Inc., New York, 1976.

Pat O’Shea was the Real Deal. During his five decades as a “student of sports physiology” he competed in Olympic lifting, power lifting, cycling and skiing. He climbed mountains, coached athletes, and was a professor of exercise and sport science at Oregon State University where he was also the mountaineering instructor. He was a member of the Olympic Weightlifting Committee in 1968 and 1972. At age 70 he still had a 205kg deadlift and 175kg squat. His records for these lifts were 245kg and 220kg respectively, achieved at the age of 34, and again at 50. He was inducted into the USA Strength and Conditioning Coaches Hall of Fame.

If, as the saying goes, one should “never trust a skinny chef,” then when it comes to strength, power and endurance I’d trust the wisdom and experience of Pat O’Shea before I’d place value on the words and methods of someone who has never walked his talk.

I'd agree with that. And that's a philosophy of training I like to adhere to. With some of the humour and lack of tightarsedness that is central to PM thrown into the mix.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:47 AM   #8
Yael Grauer

I think you should do the P-Menu ten commandments instead. I'll start.

1. Thou shalt not eat grains.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:52 AM   #9
Steve Shafley

Ha!

Good point, Yael.

There is definitely a skew towards alternative nutrition practices here. While I disagree with some of them, I realize that there are definitely specific cases where these are necessary or desirable.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:56 AM   #10
kevin mckay

I like that Yael!

Thou shalt eat only green growing things berries and creatures thou can kill with a stick